I’ve been nominated for an award! Who doesn’t like to win prizes and awards and be able to put a picture of it in their widgets? Actually, I had to think long and hard about whether or not to accept this award. Not because I didn’t want it or because I wasn’t thrilled to be nominated but because of the time it will take me to actually write this post! For your information, I was notified about my nomination on 11 January 2014 and I am starting to write this post at 6.54 pm on 12 January 2014. I have a really busy week coming up and my usual day off (apart from today), tomorrow, is being taken up by a 2 1/2 hour meeting! Anyway, I digress. I decided that I would accept the Liebster Award as someone, thank you Vida of Good Graciousness, seems to like what I write enough to choose my blog as one of her nominations.
So, on to the rules of the Liebster Award (I just copied and pasted these from Vida’s Liebster Award blog, with a spelling correction of favourite – I’m British I couldn’t help it!).
For my nominees – if you decide to accept, here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
2. You must answer the 10 questions given to you by the nominee before you.
3. You must nominate 10 of your favourite blogs with fewer than 200 followers and notify them of their nomination.
4. You must come up with 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
My Answers to Vida’s questions:
1. Why did you start your blog?
I started my first blog in 2006 as a private blog. It was a place for me to put down my thoughts. In 2010, I started my WordPress blog as somewhere for me to share my thoughts on topics which interest me.
2. What is your favorite hobby or activity – one that really makes you feel happy and peaceful?
I love reading. Unfortunately I either have lots of time to read and can finish a book really quickly or don’t have enough time and don’t finish a book as quickly as I’d like.
3. What is your favorite book?
I don’t have a favourite book. I do, however, have 2 series of books which I am very happy to revisit over and over again. The first is the Little House on the Prairie series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My mum started reading these to/with my sister and me when we were about 5 and 7 years of age and we were both hooked. The second series of books is the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriott. These were books which my parents read and re-read while I was growing up and when I was in my teens I read them for the first time. They made me laugh out loud, and still do.
4. Tell us something about you not many people know.
Although I wear glasses at work and for driving in the dark, and long journeys, I don’t actually need them. My optometrist told me I didn’t need them any more when I was 29. I went back 6 months later and asked for them back. I have an astigmatism which can get the better of me at times, my glasses give my eye muscles one less thing to worry about even though one eye has perfect vision and the other eye is only 0.25 out (most optometrists won’t prescribe corrective lenses under 0.5).
5. What was the most magical day of your life, and why?
The day my son was born. Do I really need to explain why? He was finally here and the biggest adventure was about to begin.
6. Do you believe in love at first sight? Why or why not?
This is a tough one. I’ve never experienced love at first sight but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.
7. What is your favorite childhood memory?
It’s not so much a memory as a collection of memories taken from a lot of experiences which I was lucky enough to have due to living in wonderful and diverse countries like Malawi, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Hong Kong. One of my favourite memories from Malawi is my dad driving the car very fast down the runway of the airport while it was still being built.
8. Describe yourself in three words.
Shy, stubborn, Disney-mad
9. If you could spend a day with one person, living, or dead, who would it be and why?
My maternal granddad because he died 4 months after my parents’ wedding so I never got to meet him.
10. Who is the one person who can always make you smile?
My son, he may drive me mad with his repetitiveness but his smile and laugh are infectious. Each little achievement is a huge milestone for him.
Since I started writing this acceptance post, I have received another nomination from Greta at What My Husband Feeds Me. I don’t think I really need to answer her questions too but, so that you can get to know me a little better, I’m going to. I apologise for making this post even longer!
1. What was the first car you owned?
A Daewoo Matiz
2. What was the first record you bought? CD for those to young for records
Greatest Love of All – Whitney Houston
3. Who was your childhood hero?
4. What was your first pet?
5. What was your favourite subject at school and
I loved learning about different places, how the earth was formed and how it is continuing to change. At A Level I really enjoyed the meteorology module.
7. Describe yourself in five words
Shy, stubborn, Disney-mad, conscientious, bonkers
8. If you were a character in a movie who would you be?
Oh my word! I don’t know. Probably the quiet best friend of the lead character.
9. If your life was a movie, who would play you?
10. Where would you like to go on your next vacation?
Really? Just look through my blog a little and you’ll work it out. No? OK, I’ll tell you. It’s not only where I’d like to go, it’s where we’re going, Disney World! Actually, I’d love to go on a Disney Cruise as well as go to all of the Disneyland Parks. One day, maybe.
My nominees (should they choose to accept) for the Liebster Award are:
Super Mom is Dead
Baby Gates Down
My Endless Rants and Ramblings
Midsummer 365 Project
I know that is only 7 nominations but all of the other blogs I follow have over 200 followers! Oh, and I looked at some other Liebster acceptance blogs and some of them say you can nominate between 3 and 10 blogs.
My questions for you are:
- What do you do to relax?
- Do you do exercise? If so, what is your favourite exercise?
- What is your dream holiday?
- What is your favourite recipe? If you don’t cook, what would you like to be able to cook?
- What is your favourite food or meal?
- What are 3 tv programmes you don’t like to miss?
- Describe yourself in 3 words
- What makes you laugh?
- What was your least favourite subject at school?
- Where do you write your blog?