Jane Tomlinson’s Run for All 10k – 2 August 2010

I originally posted this on my Sparkpeople.com blog and forgot to post it here. Oh well, it is here now (only 2 months late!) so you can read and enjoy, or not.

I did it, again! I ran the Jane Tomlinson’s Run for All 10km race in York yesterday. After running it last year I knew it would be great and I really enjoyed it. My training in the last few weeks hasn’t been great but I knew I could get round it all, even if I hobbled part of it. I had shin splints about 3-4 weeks ago so had to take the training easier than my training plan. I don’t think I ever did a solid run for more than 20 minutes without walking for at least a minute in the whole of my training plan for the run. Then, to make matters worse, I strained my lower back on Wednesday. However, me being me, I wasn’t about to not do the run even if I had to walk most of it! After all, I have a charity relying on me to raise money for them! Anyway, I had a long soak with muscle relaxing bubble bath on Saturday night and had been stretching out my back since I strained it and it didn’t feel too back on Sunday morning. We (DH, DS and I) walked the 3/4 mile to Knavesmire (York Racecourse) where the run started and finished as we live so close and my back was fine.

The atmosphere at the Knavesmire was great and DH and DS got a cup of coffee and tea. I got a free sports drink and a pace calculating wrist band. Although I finished in 1 hour 14 minutes last year, with the lack of training I had been able to do, I decided to try for a 1 hour 20 minute time this year. We had a few well known faces running with us, although I didn’t see them as they were faster than me, including Look North presenter Harry Gration, jockey Richard Dunwoody and Sir Geoff Hurst. The run was due to start at 9am but I think we finally got underway at about 9.15am.

I set off at what I thought was quite a slow and steady pace, considering the number of runners who were blasting past me, and I resisted looking at my watch when we got to the 1km marker. I did look at the 2km marker and saw that I was well up on my 8 min/km pace at 14 minutes! I knew I wouldn’t keep it up all the way round but when I reached 5km in 35 minutes I knew I had a chance of at least finishing in 1 hour 15 minutes. My back started to twinge when I got to the 7km mark but with 3km to go I was definitely not going to start walking. My pace slowed a bit but I was still withing 1 hour 15 minute pace and reached 8km, and a little hill which felt HUGE, in 58 minutes. I think I slowed a little between the 8 and 9km markers but then sped up again for the final km as there were loads of supporters lining the road. I finally finished in 1 hour 13 minutes and 21 seconds which beat my last year’s time by over a minute.

Now all I have to do is collect my sponsorship money and start planning for next year’s run on 31 July 2011. DH and DS both say that they want to run it with me next year but as DH said that when I finished last year and ended up supporting me again this year I’m not going to hold my breath!